List:       bitkeeper-users
Subject:    Re: [Bitkeeper-users] SGI r10k?
From:       tor () spacetec ! no (Tor Arntsen)
Date:       2001-09-18 14:05:12

On Sep 18, 12:50, Larry McVoy wrote:

>Does anyone have an SGI r10k indigo2?  If so, can you slurp up a copy of
>the latest release, make sure that you are configured such that
>
>	rsh localhost date
>
>works, and then do a
>
>	time bk regression
>
>and tell me
>
>a) how long did that take
>b) the output of /sbin/hinv
>
>I'm trying to decide if it is worthwhile to upgrade my aging R4400 Indy in
>the BitMover build cluster.  For some reason the machine described goes
>very cheaply and if it is faster that would be good, the Indy is currently
>tied with our 200Mhz PPC/AIX box for the slowest - it takes much longer to
>build and test than the other platforms.
>
>While we're at it, can the people who need BK/IRIX please send me mail as
>well?  If there are none, we may just stop supporting that platform.  If
>you are using it on IRIX, that's fine, just let us know.
>
>Thanks,
>
>--lm

We're using IRIX (in fact it's our preferred platform, faster and nicer
than anything else we're using, including Sun/IBM SP/Linux PCs), and we
may still be interested in BK.  However, I haven't had any time to follow
the development of BK for the last nine months or so.

As for your performance question I don't think we have an r10k indigo2
around at the moment.  I think we have an older r10k Octane somewhere
though.  I haven't tried installing BK yet and as I haven't followed BK
much lately I don't know if/when I could find time to do the test.
In general though I think you will find any r10k based SGI vastly faster
than an r44k SGI, even with the older 180MHz r10k CPU.

>--
>---
>Larry McVoy            	 lm at bitmover.com           http://www.bitmover.com/lm

-Tor