List:       bitcoin-dev
Subject:    Re: [bitcoin-dev] ***UNCHECKED*** Client side coinjoin amount organization with WabiSabi
From:       Max Hillebrand via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev () lists ! linuxfoundation ! org>
Date:       2022-04-09 6:21:06

As expected, I sent some wrong explanations regarding input selection.
The coin grouping and consolidation penalty seems to be correct, but I
was wrong about the final best group selection. Let me try to correct this.

There are often many groups which have the same consolidation penalty.
In one testnet example, a 1 btc wallet with a 20% privacy level had 64
coins, and when tasked to find groups of 4 coins, it found 20 groups,
which all had exactly 0 anonscore consolidation penalty, meaning all
inputs had the same anonscore. All groups with the lowest consolidation
penalty advance to the next step. Notice however, there could be only
one group with the lowest penalty, then the following would be
deterministic.

For all groups with the lowest consolidation penalty, we find out how
many of its coins come from the same previous transaction. The list of
groups gets shuffled, then sorted ascending by count of same transaction
coins, and we pick the top one. There will likely be many groups with no
same transaction inputs, and as the list is shuffled, we pick randomly
one of them.

To summarize, the input count is a biased random choice. In some cases,
especially for wallets with low utxo count, there is only one good
group, so the input selection is deterministic. However, often there are
many possible input groups with low consolidation penalty and low same
transaction count, and in these cases there is another random choice of
which inputs get registered. So even if the adversary knows the entire
wallets utxo set and anonscore, in many cases he will not be able to
find out which inputs will be selected in the next round.

The big question is, if we should try to protect optimally against such
an adversary, especially if the defense strategy comes at extra
blockspace cost. If yes, we can add further ambiguity, by not only
creating these "rolling groups", but creating groups with random inputs,
or even brute-forcing all possible groups [with some time-out].

Static link:
https://github.com/zkSNACKs/WalletWasabi/blob/8016404503bdffa475d8b219a6fe019a1d5775aa/WalletWasabi/WabiSabi/Client/CoinJoinClient.cs#L366-L433

WIP max suggested input value:
https://github.com/zkSNACKs/WalletWasabi/pull/7748