List:       bitcoin-dev
Subject:    Re: [bitcoin-dev] Exploring: limiting transaction output amount as a function of total input value
From:       ZmnSCPxj via bitcoin-dev <bitcoin-dev () lists ! linuxfoundation ! org>
Date:       2021-08-31 14:22:29

Good morning Zac,

> Hi ZmnSCPxj,
>
> Thank you for your helpful response. We're on the same page concerning privacy so \
> I'll focus on that. I understand from your mail that privacy would be reduced by \
> this proposal because:
> * It requires the introduction of a new type of transaction that is different from \
> a "standard" transaction (would that be P2TR in the future?), reducing the \
>                 anonymity set for everyone;
> * The payment and change output will be identifiable because the change output must \
>                 be marked encumbered on-chain;
> * The specifics of how the output is encumbered must be visible on-chain as well \
> reducing privacy even further.
> I don't have the technical skills to judge whether these issues can somehow be \
> resolved. In functional terms, the output should be spendable in a way that does \
> not reveal that the output is encumbered, and produce a change output that cannot \
> be distinguished from a non-change output while still being encumbered. Perhaps \
> some clever MAST-fu could somehow help?

I believe some of the covenant efforts may indeed have such clever MAST-fu integrated \
into them, which is why I pointed you to them --- the people developing these (aj I \
think? RubenSomsen?) might be able to accommodate this or some subset of the desired \
feature in a sufficiently clever covenant scheme.

There are a number of such proposals, though, so I cannot really point you to one \
that seems likely to have a lot of traction.

Regards,
ZmnSCPxj