List:       bitcoin-dev
Subject:    [Bitcoin-development] Mining Hashrate Caps
From:       dave () dtrt ! org (David A !  Harding)
Date:       2014-07-17 15:45:06

On Thu, Jul 17, 2014 at 09:35:20AM -0400, Mark Friedenbach wrote:
> Can someone explain to these guys and the public why promising to limit
> yourselves to *only* a 50% chance of successfully double-spending a 6
> confirm transaction is still not acceptable?

Hi, Mark.

We were asked on the bitcoin-documentation mailing list about a month
ago to work on something like this and we're getting close to a pull
request for the Bitcoin.org website.  There's a preview here:

    http://dg0.dtrt.org/en/mining#lucky-attack

(Remember, it's a preview and still being actively written/edited.)

Discussion about that doc belongs on the bitcoin-documentation mailing
list. Here's the particular thread:

    https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/bitcoin-documentation/PKwBcroWGGg

Thanks,

-Dave