List:       bioclusters
Subject:    Re: [Bioclusters] recommendations on cheap hardware?
From:       jason.calvert () pharma ! novartis ! com
Date:       2004-10-08 14:26:17

What apps are you going to be running on the systems?  A stable motherboard
is very important I would say, not just one with a support chipset.  Some
of the PCchips boards based on the via chipset run fine until you start
using large amounts of DMA.

Jason

                                                                                      \

                      Malay K Basu                                                    \

                      <mbasu@mail.nih.gov>             To:       \
                bioclusters@bioinformatics.org                                        \

                      Sent by:                         cc:       (bcc: Jason \
                Calvert/PH/Novartis)
                      bioclusters-admin@bioinfo        Subject:  Re: [Bioclusters] \
                recommendations on cheap hardware?
                      rmatics.org                                                     \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

                      10/08/2004 10:16 AM                                             \

                      Please respond to                                               \

                      bioclusters                                                     \

                                                                                      \

                                                                                      \

Nicolas Jungers wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-10-07 at 23:58, Fernan Aguero wrote:
>

> > We're evaluating building AMD socket A
> > or Pentium socket 478 machines.
>

> I'd have a look at socket 754 (Athlon64) too. You can have a decent box
> for less than $400.

AMD is stopping manufaturing Athlon XP. In last month ther prices of
Athlon XP 2500 has jumped from $70 retail to $90 for Burton core. Now is
the right time to buy Athlon XP.

Malay