List:       bioc-devel
Subject:    [Bioc-devel] Changelog
From:       "James MacDonald" <jmacdon () med ! umich ! edu>
Date:       2007-11-06 14:22:38

Hi all,

As we all discussed last month, rather than parsing the svn commit logs by hand and \
sending an email (as well as posting to the BioC website), I am now automagically \
parsing the svn commit logs and putting the results online using the blosxom blogging \
software (yes, I too have entered the 21th century ;-D).

http://fgc.lsi.umich.edu/cgi-bin/blosxom.cgi

There were many opinions expressed about the changelog and the rules governing what \
goes in and what stays out, and I appreciate all the input. I understand that some \
developers use the commit messages as a means to communicate to their fellow \
developers, and that some commits are really just small changes that might not need \
to be tracked.

That said, I think we are all going to have to work together on this one. It is much \
easier for me to look at a commit message when parsing by hand and say 'Hmm. That \
doesn't make any sense to me.' and summarily exclude it from the changelog. When \
doing things automatically this isn't that easy.

So if you are making a commit that doesn't need to be published on the changelog, \
simply prepend a # to the beginning of all lines that you don't want published. As \
mentioned before, lines != sentence. A line is a block of text separated by a new \
line character, so a single # will comment out everything you type until you hit the \
return key.

The changelog allows one to look at changes for just one package, by date, etc. See \
here for more information

http://fgc.lsi.umich.edu/info.html

There is also the ability to subscribe to an RSS feed for the whole changelog or just \
a subset of packages, although the results vary depending on the RSS reader you use. \
Firefox's live bookmarks doesn't seem to work correctly, whereas the google reader \
does YMMV.

Best,

Jim

--