List:       binutils
Subject:    Re: Looking for advice for GNU debuglink generation.
From:       Michael Matz <matz () suse ! de>
Date:       2021-01-27 14:15:31

Hello,

On Tue, 26 Jan 2021, Kalamatee via Binutils wrote:

> I am looking for advice on the generation of gnu debug link information
> in binaries Currently when cross compiling our operating system, we
> export the debug,. strip the binary, and add the debug link which
> "works" to some extent, but only if the file layout matches on another
> machine running the hosted version of our operating system.
>
> The problem we have is our binaries are generated under some directory
> (e.g. /home/test/build/AROS/), which is present in the debug link
> information for all the binaries we generate. Is there some way to define a
> base path that the linker will strip when adding this?
>
> In future, we had hoped to move the generated debug information under
> <build dir>/Developer/Debug/dbg - - but again doing so doesn't work because
> it then looks for <build dir>/Developer/Debug/dbg/<biuld dir>/<relative
> path to binary>/<binary>
>
> Any advice would be greatly appreciated....

Apart from what Nick said, some people use debugedit to post-process debug
information exactly for case like the above, i.e. path rewriting.  It's
part of rpm, and some distros install it user-callable. You might want to
take a look if it fits your needs:

  https://github.com/rpm-software-management/rpm/blob/master/tools/debugedit.c
  http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/bionic/man8/debugedit.8.html

Ciao,