List:       bind9-users
Subject:    hints and forwarders?
From:       RussellJ () louisdreyfus ! com
Date:       2001-02-28 14:18:48

Hello!

My interior DNS firewalls lie behind firewalls. The firewalls proxy DNS
queries, but do not allow outbound or, of course, inbound queries. The DNS
servers forward requests for non-authoritative zones to the firewall.
Therefore, does BIND require that the "." zone exist. Can I remove it
safely?
My instinct says "yes", but I thought I'd get some other opinions. I
believe
that I can remove the "." zone because the DNS server can not reach the
real
root servers on the Internet. I think this will speed up name resolution
by
eliminating a wasted step.

Thank You!