List:       bind9-users
Subject:    Re: Object model for bind9
From:       tale () nominum ! com (David C Lawrence)
Date:       2000-04-02 21:55:33

Martijn Kruiswijk writes:
> Where would I be able to find information on the object model that the
> OMAPI interface gives access to?

The only available document is doc/design/omapi.  It came from the ISC
DHCP distribution's doc/api+protocol file with minimal changes.
(Hence, it has a lot of references to dhcp_* functions that don't
exist in BIND9.)  It is also somewhat hard to use as a reference in
its current state, as there are no examples of what you really need to
do in order to use the library to accomplish anything.  Also,
authentication is only described in the most general way.

> Who has been working with this or writing on this part of the bind9 code?

Ted Lemon wrote it for the ISC DHCP server.  I integrated into the
BIND9 code to use the libisc.a library support.  Unfortunately, I kind
of missed the boat on a fundamental aspect of the way the libisc
socket library is supposed to support asynchronous I/O in a
multithreaded environment, so the client side blocks on every message
it sends until it gets its answer (or the connection closes).  This
really wasn't fully what Ted had in mind when he designed OMAPI -- it
was an option, but unfortunately the only mechanism I encountered
while learning the code -- and it can potentially deadlock a client
program depending on how it is written.

I'm reworking a lot of OMAPI right now to use the libisc task/event
callback mechanism and so there are going to be some significant
differences in the next beta.