List:       bind9-users
Subject:    Re: db.127.0.0 file
From:       Rob Payne <rnspayne () the-paynes ! com>
Date:       2003-01-30 3:49:32

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 01:51:37AM +0000, Alan Chia wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am configuring a Name Caching-only server, and i don't want to configure a
> primary and slave name server. So what should i put in the file of
> db.127.0.0.
>
> i suppose it should go like this
>
> 0.0.127.in-addr.arpa IN SOA  {
> 1
> 10800
> 3600.
> 604800
> 86400 )
>
> 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa IN PTR localhost

> Can anyone tell me what am i missing ? thanks alot

Alan,

The above record is unterminated.  You can just add periods and
domains, as follows.

1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR localhost.

Or, you can just leave the record as is:

1	IN  PTR	       localhost.

Personally, I would change the zone name to "127.in-addr.arpa" Call me
a purist, but loopback network is a /8 (127.0.0.0/8).  See the
attached localhost.rev.  In any case, make sure that you also define
the forward zone "localhost" so queries from your caching only server
do not make it to the root servers looking for the "localhost" TLD.

				 -rob

$TTL    86400
127.in-addr.arpa.      IN      SOA     localhost. root.localhost.  (
                                      2003010101 ; Serial
                                      28800      ; Refresh
                                      14400      ; Retry
                                      3600000    ; Expire