List:       bind9-users
Subject:    RE: BIND 9 dynamic update speed
From:       andreas.pappas () bt ! com
Date:       2003-01-27 18:39:24

Thank you all very much for your replies. I have looked at your links and
found the info very very useful. As I understand, there is some effort in
optimising the performance of DNS wrt. update speed but I couldn't find what
the state of the art is. However, I must admit that Bind-dlz is a great idea
but may need to comply with standardised security mechanisms in order to be
viable (does it support TSIG ?).

The idea behind these enquries is that moving towards a more dynamic
(future)environment governed by mobility, context-awareness and rapidly
changing information, DNS could play a significant role apart from (almost
just) name resolution. But in order to do this it should be able to cope
with the rate of change of such information.

I am currently looking into these issues from an architectural/networking
perspective and would be glad to know that other people as well have a
similar view on the future of DNS.

I know, Brad, that my tests were run in ideal scenarios but I'm sure these
can be recreated in the real world, maybe not on a global scale but on
well-behaved networks (i.e. complying to standards).

Andreas