List:       bind9-users
Subject:    SERVFAIL and loops
From:       Carlos Horowicz <carlos () mrecic ! gov ! ar>
Date:       2002-10-31 22:31:26

Hi,

I have following problem and am seeking for the right solution (if
there's any...)

I run an authoritative DNS for domain yyy.zzz

there's a lame-delegated domain xxx.yyy.zzz, its nameservers respond
SERVFAIL for any query done in behalf of xxx.yyy.zzz

there's a resolver R of a known ISP that keeps asking my DNS wildly for
A and MX records of xxx.yyy.zzz with a frequency of about 200 queries
per second

I suppose that R receives SERVFAIL from the authoritative of xxx.yyy.zzz
, but don't understand if R's behaviour is originated by just a couple
of recursive client queries that make R loop, or there are indeed
thousands of client queries posted by a spammer that R forwards to me
because SERVAIL doesn't have a "negative caching" associated to it.

Can anybody help me understand the problem ? is the resolver R just
misconfigured or there's somebody spamming ?

Thanks

-Carlos