List:       bind9-users
Subject:    Updating zone records on BIND/MySQL
From:       Mohamed Lrhazi <mohamed_lrhazi () fluidsoft ! com>
Date:       2002-10-29 20:25:19

Hello all,

I am using Bind 9.2.1 with netbastards  mysql patch and need some help
understaning how bind behaves when the zone data chages in the MySQL DB.

I wrote a PHP interface to allow our employees to easily modify the
zones data, we are a webhosting company and we have a lot of those...

My initial tests, updating A, CNAME and MX records all seem to work
fine, instantly seen on digs... cool.

Now, what happens when the SOA record has been modified for some reason?
Also, what happens if the NS records were changed? Do I need to do rndc
reload zone? refresh zone? Do I need to restart named?

I did the follwing tests :

zone =  test89.test
in named.conf I have :
  zone "test89.test" { // Tue Oct 29 12:32:21 EST 2002
                 type master;
                 database "mysql database table mysqlserver username
password";
         };

# dig  test89.test axfr

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> test89.test axfr
;; global options:  printcmd
test89.test.            86400   IN      SOA     test89.test.
postmaster.test89.test. 1 86400 3600 604800 86400
test89.test.            86400   IN      A       140.186.45.2
test89.test.            86400   IN      NS      ns1.your-site.com.
test89.test.            86400   IN      NS      ns2.your-site.com.
test89.test.            86400   IN      NS      ns3.your-site.com.

First test was : modify the TTL for ns3 record, set it to 3600, then
check what happens  :

# dig test89.test axfr

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> test89.test axfr
;; global options:  printcmd
; Transfer failed.

# dig test89.test ns

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> test89.test ns
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;test89.test.                   IN      NS

;; ANSWER SECTION:
test89.test.            86400   IN      NS      ns1.your-site.com.
test89.test.            86400   IN      NS      ns2.your-site.com.

rndc reload test89.test and rndc refresh test89.test change nothing to
this situation. The only way to get it back to do proper zone transfers
is by re-adding the ns3 with the original TTL.

It seems you cannot fool with the TTL of the NS records... they have to
stay the same.. also, they have to be big enough...

I did a lot of tests, changing this changing that.... not quite sure
what to make of it all...

I guess my questions are:

- What is the right procedures for modiying zone records?
- Are there records one can safely edit and others that nessecitate
named restart?
- Do some of them necissitate only an rndc reload zone?
- What do you use rndc refresh zone for?
- Does the zone serial number have any use in mysql bind configuration?
does it need to be modified at all?

Thanks alot.