List:       bind9-users
Subject:    Re: TSIG last question
From:       Mark_Andrews () isc ! org
Date:       2002-06-25 14:28:30

> This was of great help. Another individual sent me to a web site with a
> course PDF that explained this is great detail.
>
> One thing I need clarified though:
>
> Currently, I have 1 primary and 2 slaves. ZOne transfers/updates using
> normal methods are working nicely now (again thanks to help from people here)
> .
>
> However, while reading the Bind book, it states that the slaves should not
> allow transfers....and I agree with this statement!

	allow-transfer values is a policy decision.  There is nothing
	inherently wrong with allowing everyone to transfer a zone.

> So, in my named.conf on the slaves:
>
> zone  "bar.com" {
>          type slave;
>          file "/zones/db.bar.com";
>          masters { 1.2.3.4; };
>          allow-transfer { none; };
>
> The above example of TSIG seems to go against what is recommended :
>
> zone example {
>                  type slave;
>                  file "example";
>                  masters { 10.0.0.1; };
>                  allow-transfer { key example.key; };
>

> I just want to verify that this must be the case (so it seems).

	Using the *same* allow-transfer acl does not change who
	can transfer the zone (firewalled masters aside).

> Thanx to all who responded. I really appreciate it!
>
> Jeff

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews@isc.org