List:       bind-users
Subject:    Re: BIND Bug
From:       peter () icke-reklam ! ipsec ! nu ! invalid
Date:       2000-08-31 19:22:11

Loucks, Guy <Guy.Loucks@det.nsw.edu.au> wrote:

> People,

> We are running:

> named 8.1.2-REL

> On Compaq T64 v5.0A.

> There appears to be a problem with RR CNAME / MX's

You Can't have a CNAME record with the same key as any other record.

dig shows MX records for :
sci.tafensw.edu.au.     2H IN MX        10 isusv1.det.nsw.edu.au.
sci.tafensw.edu.au.     2H IN MX        10 isusv2.det.nsw.edu.au.

thus you cannot use :
sci.tafensw.edu.au. IN  CNAME hadsy8.isd

> See below:

> # cat ns.sh
> nslookup <<HERE
> ls tafensw.edu.au.
> HERE

> # sh ns.sh | grep -i sci
> sci                     30M IN CNAME    hadsy8.isd

> tafensw.edu.au.db:sci                   IN      CNAME
> hadsy7.isd.tafensw.edu.au.
> tafensw.edu.au.db:sci                   IN      CNAME
> hadsy8.isd.tafensw.edu.au.

> Before we scream down an upgrade to 8.2.2PL5, does anyone know if this is a
> known defect in 8.1.2?

No it's not a defect in bind it's SBK
(swedish for user-error)

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)