List:       bind-users
Subject:    BIND 9.16 is approaching EOL in April, 2024
From:       Victoria Risk <vicky () isc ! org>
Date:       2024-02-26 16:35:02

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

The BIND 9.16 release branch is approaching EOL as of April, 2024. We encourage users \
running 9.16 or (gasp) 9.11, to upgrade to 9.18.

The 9.18 branch has consistently out-performed the 9.16 branch, and we are confident \
that it is more stable than 9.16. One of our support engineers has prepared a helpful \
knowledgebase article on updating from 9.16 to 9.18 \
(https://kb.isc.org/docs/changes-to-be-aware-of-when-moving-from-bind-916-to-918) \
which may be useful to you as you plan your migration.

For an overview of our release plan, we maintain another knowledgebase article \
(https://kb.isc.org/docs/aa-00896). This was updated earlier this month, to move the \
start of future new stable branches from Q1 to Q2. The problem with starting a new \
stable branch in Q1 is, after the long holiday quiet period, we always have a number \
of important fixes and changes we need to release *before* we can start a new stable \
branch. We are currently projecting that our next stable branch, BIND 9.20, will be \
released in Q2.

For your convenience, we also maintain our planned EOL dates listed next to each \
software release on https://www.isc.org/download/.

Vicky Risk