List:       bind-users
Subject:    Re: [DoD Source -- ssshhhh Top Secret] Re: Dumb Question is an A or AAAA record required?
From:       Reindl Harald <h.reindl () thelounge ! net>
Date:       2020-07-09 15:24:18

Am 09.07.20 um 17:20 schrieb Michael De Roover:
> On 7/9/20 5:03 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> > but it still has nothing to do with your domain by definition, the PTR
> > could be anything
> Of course it can be, they're completely separate name spaces. However
> would it make any sense in practice to point it somewhere else entirely?
> You'd probably be better off not setting it at all then. I'd argue that
> they're meant to match each other.
> > but how does that change anything in the simple fact that "Would the
> > lack of A records affect pointer records? Seems like it would" given
> > that the PTR zone is a dns zone like anything else
> > while it's smart (at least when you want to send mails) that your IP has
> > a sane PTR and that the name maps back to the IP the dns system couldn't
> > care less
> My thoughts exactly. They can technically be different and the DNS
> itself indeed couldn't care less (but applications checking for that
> might).. but would it make sense to? I mean yeah I suppose that they can
> exist without the other. Not uncommon for A records to be without PTR
> records, and I guess that a PTR record without an A record could work
> too..? But again, aside from the theoretical possibility, why would you
> want to set your PTR records to not match at least one of your A records?

they question was "Would the lack of A records affect pointer records?"
an dthe answer is clearly *no*

my first response was "while it's smart (at least when you want to send
mails) that your IP has a sane PTR and that the name maps back"

so it's not a matter of "would it make any sense in practice" and "why
would you want to" because nobody want's and that was not the question

case closed, period