List:       bind-users
Subject:    Re: DNS Flag Day - options for EDNS behavior control before then ?
From:       Mark Andrews <marka () isc ! org>
Date:       2018-12-19 20:03:55

Correct, there are no knobs in 9.13/9.14 for automatic fallback.

Apart from a few very old Microsoft Windows DNS servers that don't respond \
consistently to EDNS queries (they respond with FORMERR to the first query then don't \
respond for a while to subsequent EDNS queries) there aren't many servers that don't \
answer EDNS queries any more.  That said there is still a single TLD server that \
doesn't respond to EDNS queries at all.

	server <prefix> { edns no; };

More likely you will strike a server that doesn't respond to queries with DNS COOKIE \
options present and you will want to turn off sending that option.  This can be \
tested for with "dig +nocookie".

	server <prefix> { send-cookie no; };

Most of the problems are with stupid firewall defaults.  The firewall vendors want to \
be seen to be doing "something" with DNS and to hell with planned incremental \
deployment and interoperability.  STD 13 said what nameservers should do with unknown \
flags in the DNS header (ignore) and other changes (return FORMERR).  EDNS says to \
ignore unknown EDNS flags and options and to return BADVERS with the currently \
supported EDNS version for unsupported EDNS versions in requests.  These behaviours \
allow clients to be updated without having to update servers.  Firewall that drop \
queries aren't doing anyone a service.  All they do is break interoperability.

Mark

> On 20 Dec 2018, at 6:39 am, Brandon Applegate <brandon@burn.net> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I did some searching on the ML archives and didn't see what I'm trying to ask.
>
> Is there anything (i.e. a config knob) in any current version of BIND that allows \
> one to control this ?
> My understanding is that on (around ?) the DNS Flag Day of 2/1/19 - BIND won't \
> retry (with EDNS disabled) non-answered EDNS queries - rather it will consider them \
> failures ?
> I see that as of now there is this knob:
>
> --
> server a.b.c.d {
> edns no;
> };
> —
>
> But I'm talking about the behavior described in the DNS Flag day materials.  Is \
> that simply going to be changed in code sometime around/on 2/1/19 ?
> --
> Brandon Applegate - CCIE 10273
> PGP Key fingerprint:
> 0641 D285 A36F 533A 73E5  2541 4920 533C C616 703A
> "For thousands of years men dreamed of pacts with demons.
> Only now are such things possible."

Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742              INTERNET: marka@isc.org