List:       bind-users
Subject:    RE: DNS's example of configuration with view and zones
From:       "Darcy Kevin (FCA)" <kevin.darcy () fcagroup ! com>
Date:       2015-08-20 15:54:41

Please be clear: is your confusion/concern over the *reverse*zones* that are \
associated with the subnets of these 3 network interfaces?

Because, if you're only dealing with *forward* zones, then the fact that you have 3 \
interfaces, on 3 different subnets, really doesn't matter (since named will, by \
default, listen on all interfaces, and for outbound queries, it's left to the \
Operating System to decide, based on its routing configuration, what interface to use \
to send any given packet). From a forward-zone perspective, whether you have 3 \
interfaces, or 30, you should be able to use the same named.conf (although one may \
wish to tune the interface-interval, depending on how dynamically those interfaces \
are being added/deleted).

If it's *reverse*zones* that you're struggling with, please understand that the \
reverse zones hosted by a given nameserver may not have anything to do with the \
interfaces that are configured on the box. There is no requirement that a given \
nameserver host *any* reverse DNS for any subnet on which it is resident, or, for \
that matter, any reverse DNS at all. It is a best practice for *someone* to host the \
reverse DNS for any given subnet, but it could be a completely different nameserver, \
perhaps run by a completely different organization, and may not be *in* the subnet \
for which it is hosting reverse DNS. If we're talking "private" (RFC 1918 and/or RFC \
4193) addresses, then you can't expect anyone on the Internet to host that for you -- \
you'd need to make your own arrangements to have those parts of the reverse-DNS \
namespace(s) resolvable on your private network.

If you just need an example of how to define IPv4 reverse zones, then:

zone "2.0.192.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "2.0.192.in-addr.arpa";
};

zone "100.51.198.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "100.51.198.in-addr.arpa";
};

zone "113.0.203.in-addr.arpa" {
	type master;
	file "113.0.203.in-addr.arpa";
};

For each zone, define the SOA, at least 2 NSes, and populate your reverse entries as \
PTR records.

											- Kevin