List:       bind-users
Subject:    Re: Suspecious DNS queries dropped by Firewall
From:       Kevin Oberman <kob6558 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-12-14 20:45:14

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 3:51 AM, babu dheen <babudheen@yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> In this case, do you think that internal users trying to send emails
> directly to internet?
>
> Email delivery is taken care by Email Gateway device, obviously, DKIM
> verification (if enabled) can only be done by Email gateway of my
> company... How does internal client make DKIM query which uses the TXT
> record in DNS ?
>
> Can you tell me list of URL which size exceed 514 bytes to verify whether
> my internal server truncate/return failure code when query such URL using
> UDP query?

Babu,

You are missing the point. DKIM records were only provided as an example of
There is no way of knowing exactly how much data will be returned with
modern DNS servers, especially with DNSSEC. But, even a simple address
query might return over 512 bytes of data.

The removal of the 512 byte limit on DNS packets is well over a decade old
and dancing around it is a losing proposition. You must either fix your
firewall (the right solution) or set your servers to NOT set the EDNS flag
(a work-around that will probably continue to be fragile).
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com