List:       bind-users
Subject:    Re: Bind support win2k
From:       Barry Finkel <b19141 () achilles ! ctd ! anl ! gov>
Date:       2003-06-30 12:50:29

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard <J.deBoynePollard@tesco.net> wrote in

Kenneth Porter <ken.blacklist@sewingwitch.com> replied:

>Finally. I wonder how painful and expensive it is to upgrade from 2k to
>2003? My BIND upgrades have been pretty painless, and Red Hat's RPM handles
>the 8-to-9 switch by automagically generating the TSIG keys for rndc in the
>update script.

I have no idea which hotfixes from the MS W2k DNS code are contained in
the initial MS 2003 code.  That is something I will research when we
plan on upgrading our MS W2k DNS box.  We have no timetable, so it is
off my radar screen at the moment.  I suggest that anyone planning
on making the migration contact MS and get this information.  As for
"painful", if all of the BIG hotfixes are contained in the 2003 product,
and if the new 2003 code did not introduce any major bugs, then the
upgrade probably will be painless.  But I do not know the answer to the
two "if"s.  As for "expensive", I have done no research as to any cost
increases W2k --> 2003.

Barry S. Finkel
Computing and Instrumentation Solutions Division
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel@anl.gov