List:       bind-users
Subject:    Vanishing A records?
From:       John Heiden <jheiden () pop3 ! utoledo ! edu>
Date:       2003-06-26 23:30:07

Hi folks,

I am running BIND 8.3.3 on a SUN server, and I am having a problem.

I add the following to my zone table for *.utoledo.edu thusly:

uc6500switch    IN A            131.183.1.196
uc6500          IN A            131.183.1.197

I restart BIND and can see the following:

utnetw# nslookup uc6500.utoledo.edu
Server:  utnetw.utoledo.edu
Address:  131.183.1.1

Name:    uc6500.utoledo.edu
Address:  131.183.1.197

utnetw# nslookup uc6500switch.utoledo.edu
Server:  utnetw.utoledo.edu
Address:  131.183.1.1

Name:    uc6500switch.utoledo.edu
Address:  131.183.1.196

Then I wait about 5 minutes, and then I see the following:

utnetw# nslookup uc6500.utoledo.edu
Server:  utnetw.utoledo.edu
Address:  131.183.1.1

*** utnetw.utoledo.edu can't find uc6500.utoledo.edu: Non-existent
host/domain
utnetw# nslookup uc6500switch.utoledo.edu
Server:  utnetw.utoledo.edu
Address:  131.183.1.1

*** utnetw.utoledo.edu can't find uc6500switch.utoledo.edu: Non-existent
host/domain
utnetw#

Can somebody tell me why they vanish like that?  This makes no sense to
me.
And I have looked through logs, and I find nothing.  I feel totally lost
here now.
I have never seen anything like this before.

Any ideas?

I very much appreciate any input anyone here can give me.  I will gladly
summarize
after I/we find a solution.

Thanks much in advance!

John