List:       bind-users
Subject:    Bind 9's caching mechanism
From:       "Matty" <mattycruft () daemons ! net>
Date:       2003-05-31 18:04:01

Howdy,

I read through one of the DNS FAQs on the 'net, and was
curious why Bind 8/9 are unable to save [1] their cache
between restarts? Are there issues associated with this
that I am unaware of?

Thanks,
Matty

[1]
# Where does the caching name server store it's cache? Is there any way I can control \
the size of the cache?

The cache is completely stored in memory, it is not written to disk at any time. \
Every time you kill named the cache is lost. The cache is not controllable in any \
way. named manages it according to some simple rules and that is it. You cannot \
control the cache or the cache size in any way for any reason. If you want to you can \
``fix'' this by hacking named. This is however not recommended. # Does named save the \
cache between restarts? Can I make it save it?

No, named does not save the cache when it dies. That means that the cache must be \
built anew each time you kill and restart named. There is no way to make named save \
the cache in a file. If you want you can ``fix'' this by hacking named. This is \
however not recommended.