List:       bind-users
Subject:    Forwarding problem
From:       jmiller53 () hotmail ! com (Jeff)
Date:       2003-01-30 5:33:12

Hello...
I'm stuck on this problem.
I have a couple of bind9 servers that im using for external dns and
internal dns. I'd like one of the internal dns servers to forward
requests for internet name resolution to one of the external servers.
At some point the external servers will be sitting in a dmz and will
have to handle all external dns traffic and the internal servers will
not be able to query the roots directly. Internal name resolution
works fine for the zones that i have defined. The external server is
working fine, i use it exclusively for internet host name resolution
on my home computers and i dont have a problem with it. I've been
unable to test forwarding from internal to external because of an
issue with the proxy server we were using. We switched proxy servers,
the internal unix machines can at least hit the internet now. But
forward queries arent working correctly. I've posted the named.conf
files from both the internal and the external servers. can anyone take
a glance at them and tell me if they look correct? Is this my problem
or do I need to tell the guy who setup the proxy to fix it?

Internal conf file looks like this.

options {

        directory "/etc/namedb";
forwarders { 67.xxx.182.xxx; };
#recursion no;
query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "corp.company.com" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/namedb/corp.company.com.hosts";
        notify yes;
        #check-names ignore;
        allow-update {
                10.1/16;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        };

zone "1.10.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/namedb/10.1.rev";
        allow-update {
                10.1/16;
                127.0.0.1;
                };
        #check-names ignore;
        };

#forward zone for a vendor

zone "directs.com" {
        type forward;
        forward first;
        forwarders {
                10.248.0.2;
                10.248.0.3;
                };
        };

# We dont have authority for this zone yet.
# This zone will have SOA on the external server eventually
# zone "company.com" {
#       type master;
#       file "/etc/namedb/company.com.hosts";
#       };

#don't want to use hints. All forward queries should go to external
server
#zone "." {
#       type hint;
#       file "/etc/namedb/named.root";
#       };
----------------------EOF-------------------------------------------------

and here's the external conf file. I don't believe theres a problem
with this because i know it works fine. I get a few errors when

options {
        directory  "/etc/namedb";
        host-statistics no;
        fake-iquery no;
        forwarders { 205.152.0.20; };
        version "Bite my beanbag Ver. 2";
        query-source address * port 53;
};

zone "0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA" {
        type master;
        file "named.local";
};

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "named.root";
};

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

Jeff