List:       binc
Subject:    Re: [binc] Active Directory.
From:       Andreas Aardal Hanssen <andreas-binc () bincimap ! org>
Date:       2003-12-10 7:30:02

Hi, Gaurang :-)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003, Gaurang Pandya wrote:
>My setup is qmail (with daemontools) and bincimap-ssl. I would like to
>setup authentication for bincimap over my Windows 2000 Active directory
>server. Can I use qmail-ldap for this. I have been searching in google
>and mail archieve for this but did not get any good responce.
>My minimum requirement is that bincimap should get authenticated from W2k
>ADS but full solution that I am trying to achieve is if I add a user to
>ADS autometically even email id should get created.

It's hard to say wether you've got any answers on the other lists, but I
would definitely say that yes, it is possible if you can get a
checkpassword stub to do the authentication for you.

Unfortunately, I have no experience with W2k ADS. But if you can send a
username and password to it somehow, and have it somehow answer "yes" or
"no", then you can get Binc to use it.

Bundled with the tarball is a checkpassword.pl script (under conf/). It
shows the basic API, and gives you a function where you can implement your
auth details.

If the W2k ADS has an LDAP interface then you can surely use qmail-ldap's
checkpassword to access it. That'll plug straight into Binc.

>PS: I did not know where to post this mail so I am posting it in all the
>three mailing lists (qmail,bincimap and qmail-ldap) appoligize for the
>same.

In general, cross-posting is considered evil because you get multiple
threads discussing the same problem in parallell, without anyone knowing
what's been discovered in other threads. :-)

Andy

--
Andreas Aardal Hanssen   | http://www.andreas.hanssen.name/gpg
Author of Binc IMAP      |  "It is better not to do something