List:       binarycloud-dev
Subject:    Re: [binarycloud-dev] New Form (again)
From:       Jason Hines <jch () eyeintegrated ! com>
Date:       2004-03-25 18:43:10

Manuel Holtgrewe wrote:
> Form                id = form
>   FormComponent     id = username
>     TextFormInput   id = input
>     ErrorFormInput  id = error
>     HintFormInput   id = hint

Yes, this makes sense - as long as FormComponent::Init() can be easily
extended to allow this fixed functionality to be altered.  (IE: if no
hint is desired, etc, override FormComponent::Init() and only add the
children that you want.)

> Additionally: How should error get the text to display? Should it check
> $this->parent->children['input'] for errors, should the FormComponent do
> so?

I tend to think top->down, having a method in FormComponent do this -
again, so that the dev can override FormComponent::SetError() for
special behavior, though I think errors should be a common thing and
would not require overridding in 99% of real cases.

> What about multiple elements in a component like an "commit" and a
> "delete" button in the same row?

I am convinced that in order to do this, one would need to create a
custom FormInput, and that we should not attempt to define "composite"
inputs via NDF.  This has proven to be inflexible IMO.

Instead, in your example I see something like a ButtonRowFormInput
whereas the template would have:

<input type="button" name="{$node.id}_commit" value="Commit" />
<input type="button" name="{$node.id}_delete" value="Delete" />

> (btw, what about renaming non-input elements to *FormElement?)

As in LabelFormElement?  Sure - or perhaps just LabelFormNode.

jason