List:       binarycloud-dev
Subject:    [binarycloud-dev] New Package Xml Format
From:       Alex Black <enigma () turingstudio ! com>
Date:       2002-10-30 18:33:44

Hi all,

Jason and I had an IRC-conversation and decided that configure was stupid.
Now.... Let me explain :)

What does configure _do_ ?

It does a series of automatic things based on assumptions we've made about
how projects should be built. If we had-code configure into the system it
will cause us problems.

What's the solution: make 'phing configure' a small wrapper for an XSLT task
which converts package.xml files (like the one attached, with extra info in
it) into build.xmls.

There are other things to consider: we need a way to automatically update
filelists, but I think that can be as simple as:

phing add FileName.php entity
Or
phing add FileName.php
... File added
... Edit package.xml to set the type and tasks.

Have a close look at the package xml attached, there are some important
additions to it which will allow me to write a configure XSLT.

Andi: we would very much like your opinion on this :)

_alex

["SampleNewPackage.xml" (text/plain)]

<package>
    <status>devel</status>
    <name>binarycloud.core</name>
    <langsupport>en</langsupport>
    <maintainer>
        <user>turing</user>
        <name>Alex Black</name>
        <email>enigma@turingstudio.com</email>
    </maintainer>
    <release>
        <version>r2-pre1</version>
        <date>2001-10-10</date>
    </release>
    <filelist>
        <dir baseinstalldir="base/core">
            <!--
            note the type declaration
            entity
            query
            conf
            -->
            <file tasks="ent2qry, ent2schema, bcc" type="entity">App.php</file>
            <file>URI.php</file>
        </dir>
        <dir name="listeners">
            <file>DefaultLogger.php</file>
        </dir>
        <dir name="wrappers">
            <file>LDAPWrapper.php</file>
            <file>SQLWrapper.php</file>
        </dir>
    </filelist>
    <build>
        <taskdefs>
            <!--
            we assume a default set of phing system
            tasdkdefs
            -->
       		<taskdef name="myspecialtask" processor="path.to.SpecialTask" />
        </taskdefs>
        <!--
        Other build-specific items here
        -->