List:       binarycloud-dev
Subject:    Re (PRODUCTION!): [binarycloud-dev] ANT vs. MAKE
From:       binarycloud-dev-admin () lists ! sourceforge ! net
Date:       2001-10-08 8:58:03

binarycloud-dev-admin@lists.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> preior I want to state that I'm not trying to force or somehow to replace
> the make-system with ant. This is just a evil thought of mine occured some
> time ago and maybe ant is a option. Maybe.
============================= snip, snip ===================

Guys:

This is not a comment on ANT vs. MAKE per se, but it is
related, somehow, in my mind.  It has to do that I am
concerned, personally, with my ass hanging out to dry
because we have, more or less, gone into production
with BC after this latest "freeze" of the file system
layout/Make system.  The corrollary comment is, lordy, I hope that
BC is going to kinda stabilize here to some kind of
useful plateau without the large shifts in structure,
functionality, what-have-you, so that, in the future,
we may only have to make "minor changes" in, say, our
modules if we do a CVS update.

Thus, I perceive this ANT vs MAKE thingy as a threat,
or, "just as bad", a diversion of attention from _my_
needs, which are represented by "stability" and
incremental, manageable improvement and/or addition
of features.

It is interesting, each developer has his motives and
wishes to work on those parts that are of interest to
him, and this is natural.  I would love to have the
luxury of being able to contribute to progress myself
in areas which are "interesting".  But, this post is
an urging, perhaps premature, perhaps due to my
uneasiness and "miscalculation" of a plateau of
stability where we can start using BC in production
because we believe in the promise of the design, and
for the future benefits we see it will provide us.

SO, THIS IS JUST A kind of plea for an attempt to
converge to this "plateau of stability", and not
radically change some important element, right now.
Ultimately, production considerations will become
more important, and I think you all agree with this.
I am just feeling very exposed with the "threat" of
things, however interesting, such as ANT vs. MAKE.

_justin

--
Justin Farnsworth - Technical Director
Eye Integrated Communications