List:       best-of-security
Subject:    BoS: Re: s-bits disappear ?
From:       Neil Readwin <nreadwin () LONDON ! MICROGNOSIS ! COM>
Date:       1995-10-12 21:44:00

Bernd Lehle writes:
> The following investigation yielded: The s-bits of /sbin/ps, /sbin/su
> and /bin/mail had disappeared.

Last time I saw this was on a SunOS 4 machine. I suspect that one of the
people with root access did an rcp and instead of ~/bin typed ~bin or just
/bin but noone admitted having done so :-)

ObBug:

        On some platforms tip will follow symlinks when reading ~/.tiprc,
        so 'tip -v' can be used to read non-comment lines in uucp files
        like /etc/uucp/Systems (which means any local user can get the uucp
        passwords for machines you call).

Neil.
--
 nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk       Phone: +1 908 855 1221 x519
 Anything is a cause for sorrow that my mind or body has made