List:       berlin-widget
Subject:    Re: [Fresco-devel] Xlib compatible layer
From:       Nicolas Souchu <nsouch () free ! fr>
Date:       2003-05-14 20:23:29

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 12:22:12AM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:43:05PM +0000, Nicolas Souchu wrote:
> > On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 11:22:31PM -0700, Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> [...]
> > > It'd be nice to get something like the cygwin/OSX X servers that run
> > > rootless under the native windowing system, but that's a simple matter
> > > of programming.
> >
> > What kind of background would be needed? C++? CORBA? ...
>
> I'm not sure, because I have no idea how the rootless X servers are
> put together.  But C++ and CORBA both, for talking to Fresco, plus (I
> suspect) a strong stomach for dealing with X internals.

I'm used to hacked code, but less to well programmed code like in
C++ and CORBA :)

Unfortunately, being a non-object oriented programmer at all, I doubt
this will be a task for me :( Of course I could learn but I have few things
to finish in C before such a big campain.

I'd really love it though for a smooth migration of X apps...

By the way, what are your opinion guys about the Microsoft annonce?
http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/longhorn_preview_2003.asp

Nicholas

--
Nicholas Souchu - nsouch@free.fr - nsouch@FreeBSD.org