List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Berlin-design] omniORB4
From:       Duncan Grisby <dgrisby () uk ! research ! att ! com>
Date:       2001-07-22 18:44:13

On Saturday 21 July, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

[...]
> to configure berlin to use omniORB4. I didn't see an important difference in
> performance. It may be a bit slower, which is understandable given the added
> complexity.

Did you turn the mutex tracing off before comparing the performance?
At the moment, the distribution has lots of debug tracing turned on
which really kills performance. See include/omniORB4/tracedthread.h

If you turn the tracing off, the performance should be almost
identical. If you turn Current support off, it's slightly faster; with
it on, it's slightly slower.

> People who are keen on profiling may compare a omniorb3 build with
> one with omniORB4, or even better, may modify the berlin code to use
> less calls to '_this()' but instead use the new
> PortableServer::Current. That should speed things up for berlin.

I doubt there will be any significant difference between _this() and
using PortableServer::Current to get the current object reference,
since both now use the same internal per-thread information.

Cheers,

Duncan.