List:       berlin-design
Subject:    [Berlin-design] debugging lifecycle stuff
From:       Stefan Seefeld <seefeld () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2001-07-18 4:45:05

hi there,

I spent the last two nights adding logging support for lifecycle activity,
i.e. object ref counting, activation, deactivation, etc.
Since this is pretty expensive, I added a configure flag for it to be
enabled. Use 'configure --enable-lclog' to use it. The '-l' command line
option now takes an optional argument, so you can select individual groups
for logging, such as "bin/server -l 'lifecycle corba console'". Tracing is
now triggered with the separate option '-t'.
Using this new feature, I debugged a bit the ref counting in berlin, and
fixed the long standing bug that caused some windows to be sticky, even
when the client is killed (a bug that hunger turned into a feature for the
LinuxTag show :)
Now even the little 'exit' button in the upper right corner of top level
windows ('shells') works !

Anyways, I hope that this new feature continues to be of help debugging
the quite complex world of reference counted distributed objects.

Happy debugging,
		Stefan