List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Berlin-design] Technically ...
From:       Nathaniel Smith <njs () uclink4 ! berkeley ! edu>
Date:       2001-07-09 20:43:25

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 12:30:36AM +0200, alexander.johannesen@bekk.no wrote:
> Hey again,
>
> Just a few good questions ;
>
> * Are our webpages hosted at the SourceForge machine-park?
> * I believe the Wiki is hosted at some university?
>
> The reason I'm asking is because SourceForge offer a few services that
> might be very handy, like PHP and mySQL support. Just need to know if we
> should think about these options at all.

I don't know if this message will go through; I've sent several
messages to berlin-design lately that didn't.  Just in case, though...

Our webpages are currently... confused.  Complete mirrors of the
static pages exist at sourceforge (this is www.berlin-consortium.org
and berlin.sourceforge.net), because they have bandwidth and such, and
at purcel.spi-inc.org (this is berlin-consortium.org and
www2.berlin-consortium.org), because they have a much more open
machine.  Purcel is where the Wiki is, as well as the search engine,
the LXR, the auto-generated docs (I believe), and so on.  It's also
where mail to foo@berlin-consortium.org goes.

For the web pages, then, the current setup is that latte source is
stored in the Berlin cvs, module 'web', directory 'site2', and every
night a cron job at both purcel and sourceforge pulls the source and
builds it.  At purcel, it also pulls the berlin source, re-runs the
LXR indexer, runs the swish indexer, etc.  In the web-pages
themselves, all references to the Wiki/LXR/search.pl are given as
absolute URLs to http://www2.berlin-consortium.org, and all references
to static pages are given as relative URLs.

This complicated setup is a large part of why I chose to use a tool
(Latte) that generates static pages programmatically, rather than
things like PHP or Mason that build them on the fly.  If you want to
use XSLT, that can also do things statically -- that would fit in well
with the current setup.

On the other hand, the current setup is not necessarily ideal -- it'd
be good to keep things like the Wiki at purcel exclusively, but it
would be possible to move all the main pages to sourceforge, if they
want PHP support.  Or if there are just a few pages that require PHP,
we could do like we do with the Wiki, and have them be an explicitly
sourceforge-only thing.

We also have Postgresql support at Purcel, by the way.

-- Nathaniel

--
Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen