List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Berlin-design] Compile error thingies
From:       Stefan Seefeld <seefelds () magellan ! umontreal ! ca>
Date:       1999-12-28 19:35:23

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 1999 at 08:27:51PM +0000, Keith Rarick wrote:
> > Nathaniel Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Well... hrmph.  After a few hours of futzing, g++ got tired and
> > > decided that omniidl2 wasn't generating code that was that bad
> > > after all.  I did nothing, and suddenly things worked.  I thought
> > > this was why I /left/ windows.... anyway.  I'm now getting real,
> > > honest to goodness, someone-messed-up errors in building the
> > > client apps.  I assume these are the result of Stefan's new code?
> > > Did someone forget to check something in, or is this expected?
> > >
> > > [snip]
> > > make[1]: Entering directory `/home/njs/src/cvs/berlin/Berlin/test'
> > > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=../lib g++ -L../lib -L../modules -o server server.o -lWarsaw -lBerlin -lPrague
> > > ../lib/libBerlin.so: undefined reference to `FocusImpl::damage(Region *)'
> > > ../lib/libBerlin.so: undefined reference to `FocusImpl::dispatch(Event::Pointer
> > > const &)'
> > > ../lib/libBerlin.so: undefined reference to `FocusImpl::request(Controller *)'
> > > ../lib/libBerlin.so: undefined reference to `FocusImpl::FocusImpl(int, ScreenImpl *)'
> > > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> > > make[1]: *** [server] Error 1
> > [snip other error I know nothing about :)]
> >
> > I am getting this same thing on my machine. It bails right after this
> > first error, though (because my make is not running parallel, I think).
>
> It's because I have the 'k' flag set in my MAKEFLAGS (basically, appends
> an implicit -k to every call to make); -k tells make to keep going as
> long as it can after an error, and I use it as a matter of personal
> preference.
>
> > It looks as though FocusImpl.cc isn't getting compiled or linked. Sure
> > enough, it isn't in the Makefile, and when I add it, everything compiles
> > fine.
>
> I just checked this fix into CVS; thanks.

Hey, I told you that my modifications would break the tree. Please, to get
a workable version use the latest *release*. I removed FocusImpl not without
reason ! I'm working on the new code right now and checked them in before
to give others a chance to play with it, not te overwrite it again with the
old stuff.

> Oops... just checked on cvsweb.  Looks like Stefan took that out a few days
> ago for some reason.  That some reason probably explains your 2nd error.
>
> Stefan: want to explain what's going on with all this?

Yes. There are two sets of changes which both break currently berlin. The first
is the transition to a new DrawingKit. Though this one should compile, it will
most probably not work (draw) correctly.
The second concerns focus and event handling. Shortly we'll be able to use
keyboard events. Even though the input device initialization isn't worked out,
I decided to make at least mouse and keyboard work. It's almost done, at least
I think in early January I can check in some little demo illustrating key input,
focus navigation with key accelerators etc.

Stefan

Stefan Seefeld
Departement de Physique
Universite de Montreal