List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Berlin-design] compile problem
From:       Keith Rarick <krarick () ucchoral ! berkeley ! edu>
Date:       1999-12-27 20:36:47

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 19, 1999 at 08:33:02AM +0000, Keith Rarick wrote:
> > There is no berlin-build or -bugs list, so I'm posting here :)
> >
> > I'm getting a build error with both the latest release and the current
> > cvs tree. I can't tell if it's a problem with my freetype installation
> > or what. I currently have packages freetype1, freetype1-dev (and
> > freetype2, but not freetype2-dev) installed. I did a little bit of
> > hunting around, but coultn't identify what the actual problem is.
> >
> > I used to be able to build Berlin just fine (version 1.1.1).
> [snip errors about num_CharMaps etc.]
>
> It turns out that the problem is slightly subtle.  Firstly, the freetype1
> package is quite old (1.0), which is why the new api isn't defined.
> However, the freetype2 package in potato is too new (1.3, they seem to
> have moved their include files to <freetype/*.h>), so it breaks too).
> However, the freetype2 package in slink (1.2) is just right.  To get
> berlin to compile, just follow the simple recipe:
> wget http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/{libs/freetype2_1.2-3.deb,devel/freetype2-dev_1.2-3.deb}
>  (or use your http client of choice)
> dpkg -i freetype*
> echo -e 'freetype2 hold\nfreetype2-dev hold' | dpkg --set-selections
>
> This should allow the freetype related files to compile.

I'll try that, although just changing the #includes to <freetype/foo.h>
seemed to work, too. At least it compiled okay. (After a fresh checkout
today, the only file that includes freetype is Drawing/FT/Engine.hh. I
seem to recall that there used to be more, but changing just that one
worked this time.)

Once I got it compiling, I had to add -lFT to the LIBS in test/Makefile
to get the demo to link. The demos ran okay after that, but I don't
think they exercise the freetype code, so I don't know if it actually
works or not :)

> > If this is an include problem, then shouldn't it have been caught by the
> > autoconf script?
>
> Most probably, but there's a shortage around here of people to write good
> and robust autoconf scripts.  Want to help?

I'd love to, but I've got no experience with autoconf (besides just
using it). I'll read up on it and get back to you. (If you have any
pointers to good docs, that would help.)

It would be nice if I could get it working seamlessly with freetype 1.3.
Failing that, it could just complain about the wrong version. Since it
seems as though the only thing that breaks for us, going from 1.2 to
1.3, is the location of the headers, it might be doable.

> > Sorry for my first message to be one asking for help, rather than
> > contributing something useful, but I'm anxious to get Berlin up and
> > running again. Thanks!
>
> Don't worry, the real developers spend a bit too much time sending these
> same sorts of messages :-)

Cool :) Now that I have a little more free time, I'd like to become more
involved with Berlin. Maybe I'll pick one of the things on the to-do
list from the website, or just do the autoconf stuff.

cheers,
keith