List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Fresco-devel] omniNames running during configure
From:       Nathaniel Smith <njs () pobox ! com>
Date:       2003-03-07 7:53:44

On Fri, Mar 07, 2003 at 02:43:37PM +0800, Andy Sy wrote:
> Accdg to:
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/berlin/Berlin/doc/install/troubleshooting.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-
>  markup
>
> "You may not have configured your ORB environment properly.
> Remember that you need to fully install your ORB application.
> In the case of omniORB, this includes properly building omniORB
> and omniORBpy, running the ORB name server..."
>
> Is it necessary to run omniNames when configuring Fresco for
> compile?

It is not necessary to start omniNames to compile.  At runtime,
omniNames is one way to resolve the server, but it's by far the least
reliable, so I recommend you don't use it.  If you're using M1, you
should start both server and client with "-R ior"; if you're using M2
or CVS, then don't do anything.  If you do this, then omniNames
doesn't matter at all.

(That document you read hasn't been updating since we added support
for non-omniNames server-resolution methods.)

-- Nathaniel

--
Eternity is very long, especially towards the end.
  -- Woody Allen

This email may be read aloud.