List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Fresco-devel] Release status
From:       Neil Pilgrim <berlin () kepier ! clara ! net>
Date:       2003-03-02 0:36:13

Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> I've been looking over the milestone bugs, since we tentatively
> scheduled a release for Monday.  The best thing to look at is the
> graph at
>    http://issues.fresco.org/graph?type=milestone&id=2&output=cmap
> , and the official page is http://issues.fresco.org/milestone2 .

The maps are now linked to on each page, thanks to a recent change by
Nick :)

> Bugs/tasks still unclosed:
>   -- http://issues.fresco.org/bug137
>      we don't distinguish between COMM_FAILURE and TRANSIENT
>      exceptions.  I don't entirely understand the problem from reading
>      the bug discussion, and I'm not sure this should actually be on
>      the M2 list.

This is really about if we want to know how to distinguish between a
failure to start a call and a failure mid-call. Early corba versions
(ie. what omni3 supports) did not specify a difference iirc, so we used
one or the other. In some cases, we don't care about the distinction, so
we should perhaps either catch a SystemException or include separate
blocks for each of the above. If we *do* care, we need a wrapper for
that. This should be a dependency of bug180 - what would be useful in
roundup would be to have something where if a bug is in a milestone but
a bug depending upon that bug is also in the same milestone, then the
child bug is not shown - by definition the parent is only complete when
the child is also. Maybe this could be a toggle option in the milestone
display.

>   -- http://issues.fresco.org/bug176
>      a request to probe the Console for supported resolutions when
>      starting the server.  I definitely don't see why this is on M2,
>      unless someone is planning implement it tomorrow anyway.

This was something I reported and was going to look into, but I don't
have enough time at the moment :(

>   -- http://issues.fresco.org/bug180
>      "catch more exceptions in the server".  This is very open-ended,
>      and some of the cases have been dealt with.  Is anything else
>      needed before a release?  I'd be fine with not getting this bug
>      _closed_ for M2 -- it's too open-ended for that...

Agreed.

>   -- http://issues.fresco.org/bug190 , http://issues.fresco.org/bug190
>      Problems with scrollbars under rotation.  Do these still exist?
>      Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?  Is anyone going
>      to try and fix them by Monday?

As I remember, this bug is still present, from what I heard someone say
recently...

>   -- http://issues.fresco.org/bug192
>      The Motif radio boxes can be unselected.  From the comments, it
>      looks like Neil has a fix, except it triggers another bug of some
>      sort... what's the status here?

I supplied some kind of basic patch iirc, but was waiting for someone
with more knowledge of the internals to comment on whether it was my
limited knowledge or a problem with the design of the radio-boxes.

[snip task30/82]

Progress hasn't been too bad really, though maybe if I can get my thesis
written quickly I can make it better ;)

--
Neil