List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Fresco-devel] Server-resolution/publishing algorithms and	proposal
From:       Nick Lewycky <nicholas () mxc ! ca>
Date:       2002-11-11 13:30:45

Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> graydon hoare wrote:
>
>> I don't usually comment much on goings on here anymore, but this is an
>> issue I remember having a suggestion for: forget about IORs and name
>> service. use an environment variable and make it just a tcp/ip
>> "host:port" pair. when you connect to that port, it tells the client
>> whatever else the client needs to know (eg. an IOR for the server root,
>> or whatever).
>
> Who is 'it' ? It sounds like a (degenerated) name service in any case.

A degenerated name server minus the annoying hangs that omniORB's
nameserver is so famed for.

There's no reason we couldn't implement a light-weight server as one of
the export-ref options now and decide whether or not to make it default
later. (Or even enabled irrespective of the export method.)

At the moment, we just cram the IOR straight into the environment. What
I don't see is why making the env hold a host:port pair to find the IOR
is any better. From the point of view of the user, it would be the
difference between:

$ FRESCO_DISPLAY=host:port; bin/demo

vs.

$ bin/demo -R lookup -i host:port

if we were to tie it into the -R option.

Nick Lewycky