List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Berlin-design] Input/Output of binary data to/from the scene
From:       Sean Rae <raes () ruby ! winthrop ! edu>
Date:       2001-11-20 17:45:11

On Tue, 20 Nov 2001, Neil J Pilgrim wrote:

> BTW I *really* think that it would be useful to codify what exactly we
> are aiming Berlin to do in some specific policies/goals. Sometimes
> there are questions on the list which are repeated, but only stored on
> the list. Also it would focus our (or at least my!) aims as to what is
> 'core' Berlin and what would/could be add-ons. For example, should
> sound be part of Berlin? We've had this discussion in the past, but
> traditional Berlin is 'just' a Graphical display server, or at least
> that's the impression I'd get from reading the website. Are we
> intending to have an X-like client-server model, eg. (based on the
> above) should clients have a 'print' option or should this be
> server-side? How much further are we aiming beyond X? To what extent
> is Berlin just a GUI framework? (ie. what is appropriate to include
> and what is not)
I agree.  The architecture of berlin is one that makes me have to think
for a moment whether a feature would be in the 'core' or 'add-in'.  Since
there have been quite a few examples of people coming up with great ideas
that could build on top of berlin (document-based systems, non-graphical
systems, OOUI, 3dwm, etc), they aren't berlin itself.

The problem that I have been noticing with berlin is that there seems to
be a lack of focus (correct me, please, if I'm not percieving reality) as
far as what is being worked on.  I, for one, would love to work with
berlin but am a CORBA idiot and would rather add cool whiz-bang stuff to a
nice foundation, or do bug-testing or whatnot.  My guess would be that the
people actually working on the code know exactly what's going on and could
care less if such a document existed, but the rest of us aren't so lucky
as to know what's going on.  I'm sure more people share my outlook
compared to people who want to dig into the guts of berlin and rework the
infrastructure.  I think a detailed view of what the core will be and why
things not in there aren't in there, would be helpful.  I just wish I had
the knowhow to write the list, rather than talking about making the list.
:-/

Sorry if I'm taking something out of context, I just wanted to make sure I
wrote this before class...