List:       berlin-design
Subject:    Re: [Berlin-design] Shortcut POA patch
From:       Stefan Seefeld <seefeld () sympatico ! ca>
Date:       2001-11-13 6:46:33

hi Stephen,

Stephen Davies wrote:

> Hi guys, I have put it up at my uni webspace with an explanation of the
> changes and how to get it working.

thanks again for your substantial contribution. I'v just added
a '--with-colocation-optimization' flag to the build system,
which we can use to name specific policies.

I think the main road is to

* insulate all the places where we (implicitely or explicitely)
   used the default (root) poa, and replace this with an explicitely
   provided POA (via a singleton and _default_POA()).

* figure out a way to serialize object deactivation. Tricky.

* switch on the new policy and wait for the server to fall over :)

> Send me email if you have probs, but I cant guarantee I will be able to
> reply for a few days :(

I'm looking into it. Unfortunately, your patch contains a mix of various
changes, not all of which seem related to the new POA policy. I'll
try to separate these issues, and apply the individual changes as I think
it makes sense.

I'd like to understand better what these changes are about in detail.
While I would be willing to replace matrix assignment by memcpy, if it
really is such a performance problem, your mail indicates that with optimization
it isn't really an issue, at which point I'm more inclined to have 'correct' code.
Well, it's of course all a matter of trading correctness and 'good' code against
efficiency.
Let's not forget either that gcc isn't that good at optimizing, especially
template stuff.

Anyways, now let's all dance and praise your good work !

Stefan