List:       berlin-design
Subject:    [Berlin-design] Our new web site
From:       Alexander.Johannesen () telenor ! com
Date:       2001-11-09 9:17:22

Dear folks,

(including Stefan who's got problems sending mails right now)

I want to summerize a bit what I'm trying to do so that you can understand
just _why_ I'm fiddling with the main berlin.xml file the way I do now.

Each file on our system is to have the menu system included, and what better
way to hold a menu-system than xml? Each HTML page consists of snippets from
various XML "databases" that are being looted for its information when the
files are generated; berlin.xml holds the site-map and build info, links.xml
for dynamic links, people.xml with info about people, news.xml for news, and
so forth. Several XSL libraries (I got three in mind :) are used to parse
the various information.

In other words, the berlin.xml is a kind of makefile that is used for
building the system (to keep all names consistant) AND holding information
about levels, urls (resulting HTML file), and what xmls and xsls to use.

Stefan wrote:
> With chunks you would do something like
> xslt root.xml web.xsl > /dev/null

Yes, the easy way out was to have a parser (with some extension as it is not
a part of the xsl specifications) that could spawn new transformations from
inside an XSL. That is what I was looking for, otherwise the alternativ is
to use a build system like we've all been talking about. (I've already
created a JSP that does this, and wanted the XSL version if it was at all
possible) The problem with the latter is that it requires special software
we may or may not have available. I know far too little about the
environment we have available, but I have been told (by Stefan) that a
Python framework is available. We're most likely going to use this.

I'm installing Python and 4suite right now, and I'll set up a build-script
to do what we want. Then I'll pass the smørgåsbord off to Stefan (or was it
Tobias?) to install on our machine to test whether it works or not.

Hope this clears up a little of what I'm trying to do. :)

Alexander
--
Alexander Johannesen : Grensesnitt og implementasjon : Forhandlerportalen
(227) 84091 / 982 19 326, alexander.johannesen@telenor.no,