List:       beowulf
Subject:    Cluster Applications
From:       JParker () coinstar ! com JParker () coinstar ! com
Date:       2001-01-24 18:31:28

--=_alternative 0065F0F9882569DE_=

G'Day !

This is what I wrote to someone on a different mail list, but is relevent
to your question ....

The best sources of information is of course the net.  I would start with
the HOWTOs.  The following give a good general knowledge of the subject.

1)  Beowulf-HOWTO
2)  Parallel-Processing-HOWTO
3)  SMP-HOWTO

The NFS-HOWTO and the NIS-HOWTO are also very useful.

In a Beowulf cluster, parallel processing is done by message passing,
instead of shared memory in a SMP (symetric multi-processing) systems. The
2 most popular message passing systems are PVM \
(http://www.epm.ornl.gov/pvm/pvm_home.html) and MIPS \
(http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/).  PVM is older so the code base is larger.  MIPS \
until recently, was  forked into several competing versions, and much newer.  Most \
observers  believe MIPS will eventually replace PVM as the defacto standard, as a new \
 standard has been written.  Porting of PVM code to MIPS is also reportedly
trivial.

My code is in the planning/design stage currently.  My 3D modeler is
currently being coded, but is taking significantly longer than
anticipated.  I am also currently obtaining new hardware to build a new 5
node cluster.  So my parallel code ....

Here is some advice I got from the GTK+ mailing list:

Dani Mezher:

"I did the same to build the frontend of an MPI parallel code. The
frontend I built is a stand alone process that uses a TCP/IP socket to
connect to
the server node; this works just fine."

Slyder:

"Well, I'd keep it a modular system. Have a piece that handles the input
(modelling, and a piece that does the PVM [CFD/FE/FDTD/etc] processing.
Mayvbe a thread to handle execution of the solver. I'm actually working
on something similar, though I'm about to do a rewrite, so my code may
or may not be of much use..."

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Jim Parker

Sailboat racing is not a matter of life and death ....  It is far more
important than that !!!

Shain Miley <jubbi2g@yahoo.com>
Sent by: beowulf-admin@beowulf.org
01/24/01 09:45 AM