List:       beowulf
Subject:    Mosix and MPI
From:       Adam Lazur ajl4 () EECS ! Lehigh ! EDU
Date:       1999-10-30 18:11:33

Costas (costas@barbet.ae.gatech.edu) said:
> The recent messages to the list, have made me curious as to Mosix's
> capabilities.  Has anyone out there used Mosix with MPI applications?
> Will the mosix migration feature break MPI (i.e. will the mpi-enabled
> processes be able to find each other ofter beingf migrated by Mosix?) Will
> the additional overhead of 'finding' the target process for a message slow
> down inter-process communication??

See the mosix web page at http://www.mosix.cs.huji.ac.il/ as your
questions are answered there in the white papers or the MOSIX docs.

MOSIX does work with pvm/mpi. There would be a performance hit if
MOSIX migrates the process to a node other than the home node (node it
was spawned on) as the message would go from the sending node to the
home node to the migrated node (2 communications vs. 1).

There is a white paper available at the MOSIX website that discusses
PVM with MOSIX PPM.

> Additionally, will Mosix work with SMP machines? i.e. will it understand
> the difference between a local CPU and a remote one?

The answer is yes.

.adam

--
[     Adam Lazur | Computer Engr Ugrad | Lehigh Univ. |   _ __      ]
[        icq 3354423 | http://www.lehigh.edu/~ajl4    |__( | /_     ]