List:       beowulf
Subject:    Switch Recommendation
From:       Robert G. Brown rgb () phy ! duke ! edu
Date:       1999-10-20 18:08:22

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Damon Parker wrote:

> I am building a new four-node cluster each w/dual pent III to be used in a
> small office environment.  My question is, does anyone have a
> recommendation on a network switch to use (or one definitely not to
> use?)?  I want something that I can use to replace our old switch
> completely, maybe segmentable  so that I could set up two virtual LAN; one
> for the cluster and one for the rest of the office traffic(so 16 ports at
> least).
>
> Any comments/recommendations appreciated.
> Damon Parker

I'm using a small 8 port netgear at home under similar conditions.  It
is store and forward, not cutthrough, and it could probably have better
latency, but it is just fine for home/small office 'wulfery with mostly
large packet IPC traffic.  It may not be the best choice for an
application with a saturation stream of small packets.  It is cheap --
mine cost $220 retail; it could be found for as low as $176 even then
but I like to do business with a local vendor.

You might check out netgear's website.  They have several small switches
with 4, 8 and 9 ports, all of which can be bought very cheaply on the
web or ordered via a local vendor.  There is an 8 port "better" version
of the one I have, for example, that does cutthrough but is also a
couple hundred more expensive.

There were several other small switches that were mentioned during the
thread where I previously talked about this.  Check the list archives.

   rgb

> damonp@siliconsys.com
> www.siliconsys.com
> PC & Network Support
>
> voice 512.478.1669
> data/fax 512.478.1627
> mobile 512.750.9793

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb@phy.duke.edu