List:       beowulf
Subject:    Re: [Beowulf] Any open source OS like IBM's CNK?
From:       Prentice Bisbal <prentice.bisbal () rutgers ! edu>
Date:       2014-04-14 20:19:32

On 04/11/2014 09:26 AM, "C. Bergstr=F6m" wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm exploring tiny OS, in-house homebrew and anything non-heavy (aka =

> linux) for Xeon PHI. Does anyone on the list know of any open source =

> work for something which is comparable to IBM's CNK (Cray also has =

> their compute node OS, but I don't remember the name)

Is there any particular problem you are trying to solve with this, or is =

it mainly for research/educational/curiosity reasons?

I've had this paper sitting on my desk for a couple of years, but I =

still haven't been able to find the time to read it, "Designing and =

Implementing Lightweight Kernels for Capability Computing" , buy Rolf =

Riesen et. al.:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/cpe.1361/pdf

It lists a variety of kernels designed for this purpose, so you might =

want to take a look at it, and see if you can get the source code to any =

of them.

Also, what's wrong with Linux? Would a stripped down Linux kernel be =

suitable. One of the early selling points of Linux was it's modular =

design that allowed you to remove components to increase the performance =

and reduce resource requirements. Have you looked at just paring down =

the Linux kernel as much as possible?  This is something I've always =

wanted to do but never had the time.

--
Prentice