List:       beowulf
Subject:    RE: [Beowulf] Storage - the end of RAID?
From:       "Lux, Jim (337C)" <james.p.lux () jpl ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       2010-10-29 20:40:27

Could one not design a coding strategy that uses a bit more redundancy than the (8,3) \
Huffman code and that essentially doesn't need to be rebuilt.. that is, say you have \
12 drives to store 8 drives worth of data, and for ease of talking, one bit/byte is \
written across the array.

A drive fails, and you can still read the data ok from the remaining 11 (and, in \
fact, tolerate another failure). You put in a new drive, which contains all "wrong" \
bits (actually, half the bits are wrong and half are right, but you don't know which \
are which)...

You read from the full array, and the bits that are wrong on the new array just get \
corrected during the read in the usual way.  You write to the array, and all 12 bits \
get written.  So gradually, the new drive gets filled with "correct" bits.  As long \
as you don't get another TWO failures before all the bits are ok, you're in good \
shape.

(yeah, you could do writeback on error to fill in erroneous bits in the background, \
etc. but I assume that's not an option because of performance).