List:       beowulf
Subject:    Re: [Beowulf] Broadcast - not for HPC - or is it?
From:       "Lux, Jim (337C)" <james.p.lux () jpl ! nasa ! gov>
Date:       2010-10-08 21:07:37

PTP (IEEE 1588) needs custom interface hardware, though.  The Ethernet inte=
rface has added hardware to time stamp when the packet is sent/received, an=
d that's what the software uses to do the precision measurements.

I suppose one could (try to) use PTP over a wireless link.  That would take=
 an even more exotic wireless interface that had the PTP measurement hardwa=
re built into the interface.  I don't know that anyone is actually making s=
uch hardware.  There are some papers that turn up in a search, but that's a=
bout it.

I've tried to do something similar, using PC-ethernet-wireless AP :over the=
 air: wireless AP-ethernet-PC, about 5 years ago, and it wasn't particularl=
y great.  But there, I'm pretty sure the limiting issue was that there wasn=
't any deterministic timing between the ethernet wired interface and the 80=
2.11a wireless interface (that is, the boxes I was using were really wirele=
ss bridges and had internal storage)

On 10/8/10 1:23 PM, "David N. Lombard" <dnlombar@ichips.intel.com> wrote:

On Fri, Oct 08, 2010 at 05:40:28AM -0700, Matt Hurd wrote:

> Know some guys here in Australia that are doing extremely accurate
> timing with wireless, not for timing's sake but to measure movement in
> dam walls and other infrastructure.  Kind of like a localised GPS.
> They have some very neat and accurate stuff.
>
> Had a play with some radio foo and managed to get about 880ns + air
> time on bit to bit from tx to rx but haven't quite figured out how to
> get super low latency yet.  I think there may be a product in there
> for wireless PPS dissemination for accurate timing to a cluster like
> the guys do with the dam walls but I'm not sure if people really need
> much more than what ptp can already do.

Yes, PTP could enable fairly tight time sync across a cluster, if it
were used.

--
David N. Lombard, Intel, Irvine, CA
I do not speak for Intel Corporation; all comments are strictly my own.