On Friday 04 May 2007 15:40:37 Judd Tracy wrote: > I am trying to bring up a small file server and am noticing some serious > performance issues when using LVM. I created a software raid /dev/md0 > which I can read at ~195MB/s using the raw raid device, but as soon as I > put LVM on top of it the read speeds drop to ~95MB/s using a raw lvm > partition without a filesystem. When I use and xfs filesystem on top of > the lvm partition it drops down to ~40MB/s. This seems like a > processing power issue, but the machine is a dual processor opteron > system with 4GB of ram in it. Does anyone have some insight into why I > might be having such problems with the system. try something like this: blockdev --setra 8192 /dev/{volumegroup}/{logical_volume} You should also try smaller and larger numbers. Hope it helps, Bernd _______________________________________________ Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf@beowulf.org To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf