List:       beowulf
Subject:    Re: Off topic - G5 question
From:       Robert Latham <robl () mcs ! anl ! gov>
Date:       2003-06-28 1:50:56

On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 03:53:21PM -0600, Luis Fernando Licon Padilla wrote:
> Hi you all guys, I've just checked the G5 processor out, what do you
> think about it, it seems like it's not good enough considering it's
> architecture and it's performance.
>
> http://www.apple.com/lae/g5

a fast cpu is ok, but really (and i'm biased here :> ) IO is a much
more limiting factor for high performance computing.

so forget about the chip speeds and which one is faster...
the G4 had pretty low heat dissipation.  The itaniums are notorius for
their heat dissipation (i've heard reports in the ballpark of 120
watts) while the G5 is reported to throw off 47 watts.   But who can
say what the real number will be when

don't forget to factor operational costs into the price/performance
calculation.

==rob

--
Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B