List:       bcel-dev
Subject:    Re: Illegal signature
From:       Andrew Huntwork <ash () huntwork ! net>
Date:       2004-02-09 16:12:21

If this is the result of the same code you posted with subject
"Statement v/s Line", the problem is very likely to be
new Type[] { Type.VOID }
you should replace that with Type.NO_ARGS

Nikhil C. Khedkar wrote:
> Hi,
> 	I have put few instructions in a method after each
> line. After I do that I am getting the following
> error. Note the ClassLOader has found one input
> parameter to the method, which was not there before
> and after the method was instrumented. Any clues?
>
> Thanks,
> 	Nikhil Khedkar
>
> instrumentMethod() : name = <init> signature = ()V
> EXITING instrumentMethod() : name = <init> signature =
> ()V
>
> instrumentMethod() : name = calculate signature =
> (II)V
> EXITING instrumentMethod() : name = calculate
> signature = (II)V
>
> instrumentMethod() : name = exposedAPI signature =
> ()Ljava/lang/String;
> EXITING instrumentMethod() : name = exposedAPI
> signature = ()Ljava/lang/String;
>
> instrumentMethod() : name = simpleStatements signature
> = ()V
> EXITING instrumentMethod() : name = simpleStatements
> signature = ()V
>
> instrumentMethod() : name = main signature =
> ([Ljava/lang/String;)V
> EXITING instrumentMethod() : name = main signature =
> ([Ljava/lang/String;)V
>
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ClassFormatError:
> com/training/db/Addition
>
> (Method "<init>" has illegal signature "(V)V")
>         at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass0(Native
> Method)
>         at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:502)
>         at
> java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:123)
>         at
> java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:250)
>         at
> java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(URLClassLoader.java:54)
>         at
> java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:193)
>         at
> java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native
> Method)
>         at
> java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:186)
>         at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:299)
>         at
> sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Launcher.java:265)
>         at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:255)
>         at
> java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:315)
>

> Here's the code I want to instrument
>
> package com.training.db;
>
> import java.lang.StringBuffer;
>
> public class Addition
> {
> 	private StringBuffer test = new StringBuffer("");
>
> 	public Addition()
> 	{
> 		test = new StringBuffer("Test Message");
> 	}
>
> 	public void calculate(int i, int j)
> [...]

"I say to you that the VCR is to the American film
producer and the American public as the Boston
strangler is to the woman home alone."
         -Jack Valenti, President, Motion Picture
          Association of America, Inc., before
          The House Subcommittee on Courts, Civil
          Liberties, and The Administration of
          Justice, August, 1982,